[DC LoCo] Ultimate Linux Beginners Q & A

jerry w jerrywone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:22:34 GMT 2010

Is there a members page on the
dc ubuntu site where we can collect some local links?

(it might increase their page rank too ;-) )

I'm ok on knowing what is x? stuff,
bootloader, know what it is, just getting it to update
or specifics of chainloader command.

FAQs aren't that interesting for me to read
but something with
here's how it all fits together
might smooth over some rough spots.

shifting partitions to reclaim 10Gig on my hard drive,
inaccessible parts from resizing and 4 primary partitions
~20 partitions with ubuntu creating and failing on creating
partition and swap space, a few releases back...

ext3 vs ext4, is it universally supported across all distros,
so that going up to 4 is OK now?

SELinux vs AppArmor
package descriptions says SE will Never Work right on Unbuntu,
just to play with, etc...

Philosophical differences berween Debian (upstream) and
Ubuntu.

Package Managers, Yum vs Apt
what you might find in one repo you would not in another.

Apple support across distros, PowerPC
ARM, Geode and 64 bit support.

Binary drivers, restricted (proprietary vs free, non free, etc)
Universe, Multiverse, etc..  still don't get what that is.
thinking restricted, but probably not...

Some random stuff that floats to the top on the Newbie
questions and answers, without reading (sorry TLDR).
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I hope to give it a more solid reading later. I looked at it very quickly.
>> As a trade, I offer three of my older writings.  The second and third were
>> meant to be rather superficial, and not necessarily 100% accurate.
>> A random assortment of tips that I write for myself but figure they might
>> benefit others:
>> http://research.gallaudet.edu/Tutorials/linux_tips.php
>> Some thoughts about operating systems
>> http://research.gallaudet.edu/Tutorials/os.php
>>
>> Understanding parts of your computer
>> http://research.gallaudet.edu/Tutorials/understanding.php
>>

> EBCDIC
>
> My GOD!  I haven't heard that name is like forever!  Now I feel really old.
>
> --
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> "The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking
> of morality by religion." ~ Arthur C. Clarke
> "The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and
> politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there is no place
> for it in the endeavor of science. " ~ Carl Sagan
>
> Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
> To Contact Me:
> http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts
>
> Free Your PC from the Bondage of Windows http://www.ubuntu.com