[DC LoCo] Asking for your opinion/experience on plugins

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 02:13:33 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 19:05 -0500, Marti Martinson wrote:
> Doe anyone have any comments, good OR bad, about the alternate plugins?

I've had no problems at all with OpenJDK & IcedTea's Java plugin.

I use Swfdec for Flash.  While it can crap out on sites done entirely in
Flash...well...those sites aren't worth visiting to begin with,
generally.  I recommend version 0.8.2 or 0.9.2 from the swfdec-team
PPA*.  Version 0.8.2 made Slideshare work, something that doesn't work
in 0.8.0 (the version in the repositories for Hardy, not sure what
Intrepid uses).  It usually works fine for YouTube, though I know
there's a certain codec that can cause issues for watching in the
browser (black video, static sound) because of GStreamer being somewhat
lacking.  In those cases, Swfdec does add a right-click -> Properties
option and you can tell it to save the Flash Video (the .flv) to then
watch in Totem without a problem.  Oh, and Swfdec lets you choose
whether Flash should auto-play or not.  If not, it behaves like having
FlashBlock installed.

* https://launchpad.net/~swfdec-team/+archive/ppa

--
Mackenzie Morgan