[DC LoCo] Asking for your opinion/experience on plugins

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 00:53:07 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 19:05 -0500, Marti Martinson wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on a desktop box (from the now defunct
> madtux.org) that had it pre-installed at 7.10. I am not a gamer,
> programmer, nor audio-video enthusiast. Web, email, word processing,
> some genealogy.....only very basic stuff. (My workstation at work is a
> SUN. I know Linux is more stable than Windoze.)
>
> Of course, I have the SUN java and Adobe flash plugins for Firefox. I
> have only VERY briefly read about issues with the fully open source
> options of the cacao/icedtea java and swfdec/gnash flash plugins. I
> tried gnash once and it did not work - but that was over a year ago.
> So.....
>
> Doe anyone have any comments, good OR bad, about the alternate plugins?
>
> I'm fairly certain that I can get through either the apt-get or synaptic
> GUI to install them. Not asking for THAT help.....Though my inability to
> get sound on a laptop might force me to PAY (or lunch/beer) for that.
>
> Hoping you survive the coming weather,
>
> Marti

Gnash has gotten a _lot_ better in general in later releases, and
there's been a lot of focus on youtube support it seems(it's supported
now, basically). I would highly recommend trying it again -- a year ago
is a long time for Gnash.

As for Java, the OpenJDK IcedTea plugin basically is mainline Java, so
there shouldn't be any real difference. I don't use java applets much,
but I've never had problems with the icedtea plugin.

I encourage you to use the free software plugins everywhere when
possible -- Adobe in particular has shown tendencies to do VERY scary
things with all the private data that goes through its software's hands
(see flash cookies, 2o7.net phone-homing, etc.), and by using free
software like Gnash, you can avoid that mess.