[DC LoCo] Promote Open Source or protest the government?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 04:24:55 GMT 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 6:58 PM, Kevin Cole <kjcole at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>  That said, we SHOULD try to meet.
> Possible topics include:
>
>  * the LoCo mailing list is looking for LoCo reports

What's that mean?

  * the upcoming panel discussion -- Note: this now conflicts with
>    an XO "sprint" happening at the Arlington Career Center.  (And
>    a birthday party I'm attending afterwards. ;-)) Busy, busy.

And the Engineers' Ball, but "afterwards" is the keyword, right?

>  * we're seeing some action at the Cleveland Park Library

When can I teach a class on Gimp basics?

* volunteering for the Linux booth at FOSE -- if there is one this
>    year.  Last Saturday's NOVALUG meeting implied that it *might* not
>    be a given this year

Does this mean free attendance at FOSE, or would we have to pay their
entrance fee still?

* thinking ahead to Hardy and an InstallFest? BTW, *yesterday* I got
>    a small, completely unexpected shipment of Gutsy server CDs. A wee
>    bit late, but since I had no idea they were coming... whatever.

Gutsy server is to be avoided on any system whose hardware is not
specifically "server" hardware.  It is built for PAE support and will kernel
panic on boot if installed on any other hardware.  I would know.  It did it
to me when I went for a minimal install on my roommate's old laptop.  A
chroot later to install the generic kernel, and all's fine, but if you don't
already know your way around Linux, good luck figuring that out.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169