[DC LoCo] Promote Open Source or protest the government?

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 7 17:22:28 GMT 2008

Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
 > On Feb 6, 2008 6:58 PM, Kevin Cole <kjcole at ubuntu.com
 > <mailto:kjcole at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
 >
 > That said, we SHOULD try to meet. Possible topics include:
 >
 > * the LoCo mailing list is looking for LoCo reports
 >
 > What's that mean?

I refer you to the thread in the archives:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2008-January/thread.html

Scroll down to "Everyone! LoCo Team Reports -- Jono Bacon"

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2008-January/001979.html

The thread continues into February

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2008-February/thread.html

 > * the upcoming panel discussion -- Note: this now conflicts with
 >   an XO "sprint" happening at the Arlington Career Center.  (And
 >   a birthday party I'm attending afterwards. ;-)) Busy, busy.
 >
 > And the Engineers' Ball, but "afterwards" is the keyword, right?

Yep.

 > * we're seeing some action at the Cleveland Park Library
 >
 > When can I teach a class on Gimp basics?

Sanjay?  Thoughts?  The action I've been seeing is people bringing
in computers and getting help installing Ubuntu... Dunno if there's
enough interest in a more formal class... yet.  But the point is,
we are building a small "rep" in the area. So, people are trickling
in to see what it's all about.  Sanjay can speak more about the
weekdays, as I'm only there on Saturdays.

 > * volunteering for the Linux booth at FOSE -- if there is one this
 >   year.  Last Saturday's NOVALUG meeting implied that it *might* not
 >   be a given this year
 >
 > Does this mean free attendance at FOSE, or would we have to pay
 > their entrance fee still?

This year, it's April 1-3 (with a tutorial day on March 31). The
exhibit hall was free for FOSE volunteers in the past, though the
folks who do most of the work to obtain the booth like you to buy a
nice polo shirt with a Tux logo, so that we all look semi-pro (though
for me that's impossible even with the shirt.) ;-) Greg Pryzby
<greg at pryzby.org> promised to send out news on the NOVALUG list
regarding FOSE, soon.  Watch this space: http://www.cyberigor.com/fose/
as well, though it hasn't been touched since last year...

 > * thinking ahead to Hardy and an InstallFest? BTW, *yesterday* I got
 >   a small, completely unexpected shipment of Gutsy server CDs. A wee
 >   bit late, but since I had no idea they were coming... whatever.
 >
 > Gutsy server is to be avoided on any system whose hardware is not
 > specifically "server" hardware.  It is built for PAE support and
 > will kernel panic on boot if installed on any other hardware.  I
 > would know.  It did it to me when I went for a minimal install on my
 > roommate's old laptop.  A chroot later to install the generic
 > kernel, and all's fine, but if you don't already know your way
 > around Linux, good luck figuring that out.

Good to know.