[Ubuntu Chicago] 3rd party software auditing and updating tools?

W. Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Thu Feb 3 18:46:37 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Johnson [mailto:nixternal at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Richard JOHNSON
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 12:21 PM
To: Ubuntu Chicago Local Community Team Mailing List
Cc: scott at guppylog.com
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu Chicago] 3rd party software auditing and updating
tools?

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 11:41:23AM -0600, Brian Green wrote:
> I believe OCS-NG can do a lot of what you are asking:
> http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/

Ahh, the favorite setup of our old buddy in that one office. Though
configured incorrectly it is a pain in the ass, and if you don't let others
that work on stuff know you just did that, then we might take you out, get
you drunk, and then try to beat you up.

> <http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/>I used it along with GLPI
> http://www.glpi-project.org/?lang=en (they integrate pretty well), but
> not to their full potential.  As far as I know, these are the 2 most
> polished/reliable open source projects that do what you're asking.

I have to agree here. I haven't used it in a Windows environment, but I know
it does work. I knew this guy named Matt who swore by it, and because he was
smarter than Brian, which he won't admit, I trust it :)

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
Email|  nixternal at ubuntu.com
GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Ha!

OCS is what we use for the inventory portion. Does it do package management
as well???