[Ubuntu Chicago] 3rd party software auditing and updating tools?

Brian Green greenbrian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:14:19 UTC 2011

It does inventory, and it can do package deployment. I'm not sure if it's
missing any other features of something defined as a package manager.  I
never used this feature, but was aware of it.
http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/index.php?page=package-deployment  Seems like
it would need more  handholding in an MS environment than using GPO/SMS (or
whatever acronyms are used nowadays), but the open sauce, cross platform
goodness isn't something I would have to sell to this group :)

Rich, using OCS/GLPI was my idea actually, just never got buy-in or adoption
from the groups where it really mattered :)   Everyone else wanted to just
haphazardly configure a ton of machines, with varying software, in varying
locations, swap hardware around.. then spend hours and hours trying to sort
through the confusion later on.    "What's the serial number on that hard
drive? Is it still under warranty? How much ram does that machine have?  We
should keep this info in a spreadsheet somewhere...."  *facepalm*  Yea, or
maybe in an Access database... or better yet, name the computer such that it
reflects all the relevant info you might ever want
CHI4PROC2HDLOTSARAM.crappydomain.com

Brian