[Ubuntu Chicago] Chicago Loco IRC Meetings

Steve Woodruff swoody at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 4 22:49:37 GMT 2010

I hope everybody had a wonderful holiday season, and a happy new year! Thus
far it seems there has been no opposition to the idea of holding IRC
meetings, so that's good. Now I think we should iron out how we want to
focus our meetings.

Corey brought up an excellent idea for the meetings to be more of an 'event'
than just a general team meeting, where we would have speakers,
presentations, and work on certain projects during this meeting time (be it
working on docs, bugs, etc.). I think this would be a really great way for
the team to stay active, and always giving back to the Ubuntu community, but
as he also mentioned, I don't think this would necessarily call for a
monthly scheduling.

What I would propose it to have monthly meetings where they would be an
informal team get-together, where we can bring up issues such as Linux/FOSS
events in the area, discuss scheduling/locations for future events, and
otherwise cover topics related to the Loco. So again, these would be more
'team administrative' rather than an active event. On top of these short
monthly meetings, I would propose that we hold 'event days' like Corey has
suggested. Again, these IRC events wouldn't necessarily have to be a
monthly occurrence, but we would schedule them fairly frequently so we can
keep the Chicago Team active in the Ubuntu community. These IRC 'event days'
could be similar to our jams and parties that we now have in real life where
we focus on getting work done. I feel these would probably benefit everyone,
as there would be no issue of travelling to/from the City/suburbs, and
finding a location that would best suit most of the team.

Let us know what you guys think! How do you all think we should organize our
meetings? What would you be in favor of? None of this is set in stone, and
we're all open to ideas and input, so please feel free to share your
opinions! This is your Loco after all, without your input it doesn't work :)

--
Steve Woodruff
swoody at ubuntu.com