[Ubuntu Chicago] Mailing list configuration

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 14 12:41:26 GMT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Richard A. Johnson
<nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I looked through the configuration for our mailing list and the only thing
> that would help you is hiding who email messages are from. So it would look
> like every email came from the list and we would have no idea who sent it
> unless they signed their message.

Richard,

I was just looking through the admin interface for another mailing
list, and I think there is an easy way to have the Reply-To header set
to the mailing list for all messages. Under General Options, there is
a text box that says "Explicit Reply-To: header.". Here is the
explanation given about this option:

reply_to_address (general): Explicit Reply-To: header.

This is the address set in the Reply-To: header when the
reply_goes_to_list option is set to Explicit address.

There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To:
header. One is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To:
settings to convey their valid return address. Another is that
modifying Reply-To: makes it much more difficult to send private
replies. See `Reply-To' Munging Considered Harmful for a general
discussion of this issue. See Reply-To Munging Considered Useful for a
dissenting opinion.

Some mailing lists have restricted posting privileges, with a parallel
list devoted to discussions. Examples are `patches' or `checkin'
lists, where software changes are posted by a revision control system,
but discussion about the changes occurs on a developers mailing list.
To support these types of mailing lists, specify the explicit
reply_goes_to_list variable.

Note that if the original message contains a Reply-To: header, it will
not be changed.
original message if necessary (Explicit address inserts the value of
reply_to_address).

There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To:
header. One is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To:
settings to convey their valid return address. Another is that
modifying Reply-To: makes it much more difficult to send private
replies. See `Reply-To' Munging Considered Harmful for a general
discussion of this issue. See Reply-To Munging Considered Useful for a
dissenting opinion.

Some mailing lists have restricted posting privileges, with a parallel
list devoted to discussions. Examples are `patches' or `checkin'
lists, where software changes are posted by a revision control system,
but discussion about the changes occurs on a developers mailing list.
To support these types of mailing lists, select Explicit address and
set the Reply-To: address below to point to the parallel list.