[Ubuntu Chicago] Unbuntu Install problem in Illninois

Tim Potter musikgoat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:40:34 GMT 2009

John,

There maybe other suggestions provided by other users of this mailing list,
but here are my two cents:

For certain systems, namely ones with video cards that are either
unsupported or buggy in linux, the free "LiveCD" may not work, and using an
alternate install CD may be better as it has less system requirements to
complete the install.

You still get the same Ubuntu OS, but the install more commonly "just
works".

If you have the ability to burn a CD, you could use the alt install CD,
however, as you ordered a CD from shipit,  I'm assuming you may not have
this capability.

If you are interested in downloading the image (.iso) to burn to a CD,  here
is the link for the latest release (supported for 6 months):
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso
And here is the LTS release (supported for 3 years):
http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntu-8.04.2-alternate-i386.iso

Incidentally,  I was doing some testing, so I have the image available to
burn to a CD-R  (Ubuntu 8.10 x86 alt install).
Where do you live,  maybe media mail options are not too expensive.

-Tim