[Ubuntu Chicago] quiet around here

Wally Valters deepsky99 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 19:59:01 GMT 2008

*Patrick : My idea?  We start small.  The LOCO training center.

Using the Ubuntu Desktop Training guides and teach the course.  We charge a
fee and we market it.  We are not talking LPI, we are talking desktop
training with modules and materials already provided for us.  I have done
training before and I teach.  We can do this.*
--------
I like the idea, but who is the intended audience?  I am trying to figure
out who would pay $250 for a course on the ubuntu desktop.  It is not like
they go to Best Buy get a new machine with Ubuntu on it, and then look for
training.  They buy a windows machine and pay Video professor his $90 if
they do any training at all.

I did not read all responses to this, all of this may have been brought up
already, and sorry if I am re-hashing.

I am not trying to be sarcastic here, I just wonder who will pay for this.
You run this for free, as a way to show people that linux can do these
things, I think you can get some interest.   I do fail to see paying
customers lining up for this though.  In addition, I think you need to
account for other costs.  For $250 i would expect printed training
materials, not just a pdf.

I think this is an idea that could work though, in the right context. I
looked at the training doc, and most of that is below the average Linux
users knowledge level.  Linux is not for new computer users no matter what
people are saying.  In a few years maybe, but not yet.  We need to help the
"pseudo-savvy" user, that guy who knows enough to look stuff up, and s not
afraid to follow a how-to posted in a forum.  Show them apt-get, aptitude,
adept, or whatever they want to use for packages, where logs are in the
filesystem, what the system does at boot up, and all the things that a new
somewhat savvy user would need.  I thin that is where training would be
effective.

All that being said :))  If you need training help I was an instructor in
the service, and am rather good at teaching if a bit rusty.  I will help in
any way I can.

Nixternal: Do you ever answer your email :))