[Ubuntu Chicago] Interest in Joining Ubuntu Chicago Team

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Sun Oct 7 03:46:18 BST 2007

On Saturday 06 October 2007, Josh Siegel wrote:
| On 10/1/07, Mike TRIBE! <info at whosinyours.net> wrote:
| >   Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
|
| You are welcome to join but to be honest, other then social/install events,
| the "team" has not found a "mission" yet...

Umm, have you been to any of our meetings?  How about the LUG collaboration
that we do? How about working closing with conferences such as Flourish and
hopefully a future ChiCon?

Our mission is simple, advocate and support locally Ubuntu. 90% of us on this
list meet quite a few times a year and do just that, and there are a select
few that work really hard at this. The ML isn't our only mode of
communications, we also have an IRC channel where a lot of us hang out and
work out ideas. There are quite a few of us who are developers and actually
get requested to come in an talk about Ubuntu, the community, development and
more. Every other month we have been holding meetings. We do one in the city,
usually in conjunction with the Chicago GLUG or with the UIC ACM/LUG, and we
do one in the suburbs at the College of DuPage in collaboration with CoDLUG.

Considering this group has probably handed over anywhere between 2500 and 5000
CDs in the past year and a half speaks highly of the effort with this team.
Out of the 90 members on LP, there are only about 10 of us who have put in a
lot of hard work on our free time.

So, this team has had a mission since day one, so saying we haven't found it
is rather disappointing. If you have any better ideas than social/install
events, in which have made us one of the more popular and requested groups in
Chicago, we would love to hear it. We are open for anything that is of course
legal.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org