[Ubuntu Chicago] Interest in Joining Ubuntu Chicago Team

Wally Valters deepsky99 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 14:11:28 BST 2007

Now that you mention it Rich :))

I think we need to take a little bit of the direction Manchicken has with
his outings at local shops / gathering areas.  Although I would prefer
something a little closer to home :)

LUG / Meetings are good ways to get the word out, but you are going to get
very few absolute new users.  Most of those attendees will already be
familiar with linux, and be checking into a new distro etc.  If we can get
that casual user to start looking into Ubuntu I think they will change over
if it can provide what they need.

The whole "Free as in freedom not free as in beer" means nothing to the
average user.  All they want is a machine that can do what they want to.  We
need to show them that with free software you can do all those things.  Then
we need to step up and help train them.  If you can show them how to use
openoffice, Gimp / Digikam or whatever, they will be sold.  I have my
parents trying Ubuntu, and all it took was a few hours over a few weeks
showing them what they could do.

No cost software, free help, and pretty much no more worrying about viruses
etc...  they will love it.  Not to mention that their hardware will be
effective for longer.

All we need is a machine or two showing that you can edit word and excel
documents, do email, digital picture manipulation, and do it all for
free...  you would get a lot of peoples interest.

So I think we have a mission, I think it can be better executed though.  I
am going to try