[Ubuntu Chicago] Team Meetings & Scheduling

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Thu May 10 22:56:38 BST 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007, Freddy Martinez wrote:
[snip]
| Sidenote: Our next meeting will be down in Champaign. :-). Seriously.
| For all those who may not know, we are in the process of starting an
| Ubuntu-illinois LoCo which Ubuntu Chicago is mentoring / helping grow
| etc. By having the first meeting manchicken's house of hack, it means
| we have to travel but it is part of our effort to promote Ubuntu state
| wide. More on that later.

That is Ubuntu Illinois, not Ubuntu Chicago meeting in Champaign :)

| I've spread the good word around campus, looks like we have about 30
| users now, compared to 2 this time last year. Hopefully this Illinois
| LoCo takes off next semester and I can start hosting meetings here.

Does your university have a LUG? If not, get with your student activities
committee and see about getting one setup as well.

| We've discussed this before and never got it going. I hand out all my
| information as well and ask people to help me to help out, even if it
| means going over to people's rooms at midnight to get their game to
| work on wine. I'll draft something small up for the meeting in
| champaign  which I will share with you all.

Make sure you post it where I can access it. I won't be able to attend the
meeting as I will be hanging out with my daughter, oh and school of course
(go figure).

| Is there a way we can do this on LP ? Support requests assigned to a LoCo?

Sure, you can subscribe whoever you want, however the support requests on the
LP are grabbed by the many hawks who live there it seems. We should always
point the users to the LPs support ticket system since it is free, but there
are some of those who want to hear a voice instead of typing in their issues.
Also, if they can't get Internet connectivity because of this issue, then the
only means of support is via the phone.

| Get to hacking you lazy bums! I have been working with Richard for
| some time and he has shown me how to do some things and what not. I'm
| willing to do the same. For those that don't know, we have three
| Ubuntu Members (four when Jim goes for it) on the chicago team. that
| means we have "substantial contributions to the ubuntu project", but
| in reality means we do work. I am willing to help teach people how to
| do anything they are interested if I can. Hopefully at our next
| meeting we can allocate a time for this

How can I show people what to do when I have no clue what I am doing myself ;)
We have 4 members actually, as Steven Harms is still affiliated with his. For
some reason he like Chicago, but he is going to Ohio last I heard. He still
counts as a member, and one of the original ones as well. Him and I went
through the CC pounding a year ago together, so he has a special place in my
heart, and my damn log files because he messaged me every 15 minutes
wondering if I heard if we got approved or not :) Oh, and check out the
ubuntu wiki for the enhanced bash script!

| We need help with the Xubuntu documentation. Jim and I are heading up
| that push but will need assistance from people like Richard who know
| DocBook/XML. *We are new to this,*  so  anyone who wants to learn can.

If you guys want to meet up sometime in the next couple of weeks Jim and
Freddy, let me know. I can give you guys a great run down of what you need to
do in order to develop validated and acceptable documentation. Plus I have
SVN access, so I can commit your patches and files. Once I have worked with
you guys for a month or so and you can show that you know how to work the
Ubuntu SVN and understand DocBook/XML and how we validate, I will get you
guys setup with your own accounts.

Freddy, you said you will be at the CoDLUG maybe, if possible maybe we can do
something then, or we can meet up at a local cafe somewhere (city is fine
with me) and we can chill for a few hours hacking on some docs. let me know,
oh and NO SATURDAYS :) Thursdays and Fridays are good, and if I have to, I
will do a Sunday as well seeing as Jim works.

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124