[Ubuntu Chicago] Team Meetings & Scheduling

Freddy Martinez freddymartinez9 at ubuntu.com
Thu May 10 21:55:59 BST 2007

>     - Saturdays, they suck for me.

 Remember that I am in school at college at some odd moments so I
can't make some / most of the meetings. I know when I will be home and
when I won't be so let's try to plan around this k? Seriously, I can
travel back and what not, just realize that I can't make some events.

> Patrick's work location thing sounds good for city meetings.  And if we have our next meeting at COD, then Patrick's office should be set up in time for the meeting after that.

I think that idea works as well. Thanks Patrick.

Sidenote: Our next meeting will be down in Champaign. :-). Seriously.
For all those who may not know, we are in the process of starting an
Ubuntu-illinois LoCo which Ubuntu Chicago is mentoring / helping grow
etc. By having the first meeting manchicken's house of hack, it means
we have to travel but it is part of our effort to promote Ubuntu state
wide. More on that later.

> > 4) Team Responsibilities
> >     1) Advocating Ubuntu - this means marketing. Your number one goal in a
> > LoCo team is to push Ubuntu to the masses.

> Even though I'm not a marketing whiz, I'll try to be open to the marketing stuff.  I don't feel like I'm in a spot where I could take on any sort of lead role with this at this time, though.

I've spread the good word around campus, looks like we have about 30
users now, compared to 2 this time last year. Hopefully this Illinois
LoCo takes off next semester and I can start hosting meetings here.

> >   2) Supporting Ubuntu - this means on IRC, Launchpad, Mailing Lists, the
> >   forums, and even locally. If you push Ubuntu to somebody, be prepared to
> > offer them support.

> Agreed!  I'm always kind of flattered when people find our mailing list and ask for support on it.  I don't think I'll be giving out my phone number, but giving out an email address, our IRC channel, and our mailing list info with each CD is a great idea  . . .

We've discussed this before and never got it going. I hand out all my
information as well and ask people to help me to help out, even if it
means going over to people's rooms at midnight to get their game to
work on wine. I'll draft something small up for the meeting in
champaign  which I will share with you all.

> >    3) Translations - ummm, I would hate to see anything translated into
> > Chicagoan. That would be damn scary :)

Run == Do it the chicago way.

> >  2) We need to come up with some sort of support offering. Or really, how
> > can we offer support better to the community.

Is there a way we can do this on LP ? Support requests assigned to a LoCo?

> > 6) Geek time!
> >     - I know a lot of people are thirsty to get into hacking something. I
> >   would love to get together and hack with everyone.

Get to hacking you lazy bums! I have been working with Richard for
some time and he has shown me how to do some things and what not. I'm
willing to do the same. For those that don't know, we have three
Ubuntu Members (four when Jim goes for it) on the chicago team. that
means we have "substantial contributions to the ubuntu project", but
in reality means we do work. I am willing to help teach people how to
do anything they are interested if I can. Hopefully at our next
meeting we can allocate a time for this

> Yeah, there's an interest in collaborating on a project, and also doing some group learning activities.  Whichever project we choose, I think we need to be sure that it allows for participation from all of our members . . .  If you can code it, awesome.  If not, you can help out with documentation, testing, etc . . .

We need help with the Xubuntu documentation. Jim and I are heading up
that push but will need assistance from people like Richard who know
DocBook/XML. *We are new to this,*  so  anyone who wants to learn can.

My longest email in a very long time.
--
Best,
Freddy Martinez