[Ubuntu Chicago] <sarcasm>Nice Quote From IL</sarcasm>

Francisco cyan255 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:51:48 GMT 2007

Gosh, new fangled com-puters in government offices!! Whats next ? A
governement run by robots on the moon? When will these science
experiments end?

Oh well, we'll see what happens when the costs of hardware upgrades and
software updates is published.

More from the MS report:
*http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/6/3/663a7263-fa86-4b66-a070-7009f3a6e3e1/State%20of%20Illinois%20case%20study_Final.doc*

<quote>
The State of *Illinois* decided to implement new desktop software as
well as messaging standards. The effort began in 2005 with a careful
examination of the products that made up its current environment.
Members of the Department of Central Management Services evaluated
systems from IBM, Novell, and Microsoft. “We decided against a system
from IBM on the basis that it would not satisfy both our desktop
application and messaging needs,” says Matthews.

Even though about half of all state users were on some version of Novell
GroupWise for messaging, CMS did not pursue a Novell-based solution. “We
felt as though Novell didn’t have a desktop productivity offering that
was right for us and that its position in the marketplace wasn’t clearly
defined,” says Matthews. “Novell was in the process of changing out its
fundamental platforms to incorporate *Linux* technology.”

CMS did not want to pursue a *Linux*-based system because it considered
an open source system too risky to implement, given the organizational
transition. “It would have meant too much pain for us to move to an open
source system at this time,” says Matthews. “In government, IT is all
about consistency and reliability. So for us, stacking up mismatched
parts doesn’t make good business sense in terms of usability.

“We needed a more well-defined, proven solution, so standardizing on
Microsoft technology fit us best. Microsoft provided the most
consistent, most reliable approach because of its strong market presence
and the integration between desktop applications and messaging.”

</quote>

It leaves me wondering
Just where is this "integration between desktop apps and messaging" in
windows that makes it unique?!

Francisco