[Ubuntu Chicago] Fwd: ubuntu wireless

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 3 06:05:48 BST 2007

Does anyone have some wifi experience with ralink cards? If someone could help
Jason out or point him in the right direction, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Jason, if you don't hear back shortly from this list, you could also check out
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com as well as http://ubuntuforums.org. There are
plenty of people chomping at the bit to help you there.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but we are pushing close to deadlines and I
am a little swamped right now.

Thanks everyone!

#### FORWARDED EMAIL STARTS HERE ####
Hi, I am hoping you can help me out.  I found your email from the ubuntu
local team list.  I am from Milwaukee so you are the closest to me.  I just
installed feisty on my laptop and can't get my wireless working.  I know
windows very well but don't know jack about linux but want to learn.  I just
need to get this 1 step done and then I can actually use ubuntu and learn
the rest on my own.  I looked online but can't find info that pertains to my
specific situation although there are most likely tons of answers to my
question out there.  I just don't understand it well enough to know if it is
the answer to my problem.  I would really like some step by step help either
over the phone or via email to just get connected to my wireless router and
get on the internet so I can check the forums and howto's while I am on
ubuntu.  I installed ubuntu and got all the updates and automatix and
stuff.  I basically followed a howto from howtoforge.  So its all up to
date, I also  did the sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant thing too but not
sure if it worked or not.  My network has WPA encryption.  I have a ralink
card i think and it looks like it is working or at least recognized by
ubuntu.  I can see the networks that are in range but I cannot connect.  I
do not have the option to use WPA, just WEP.  I chenged my network to WEP
and I still could not connect.  If you have time or know someone who does I
would REALLY appreciate the help just geting this started.  No wireless has
been the 1 thing that has stopped me from using linux.
If you have time t do this over the phone it might be easiest, just let me
know when a good time to call would be and we could set something up.
Otherwise hopefully over email will work as well.

Thanks in advance.
#### FORWARDED EMAIL ENDS HERE ####

--
Richard A. Johnson