Ubuntu-Chicago Meeting Planner

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 11 19:32:52 BST 2006

Hey everyone!

OK, I think it is about time we plan on getting together and working out some
ideas, details, and plans.

Right now, what day of the week would be best? I am trying to stay away from
Monday through Friday due to work schedules and what not. And I would like to
have more then 3 hours or so if possible. I was thinking a Saturday, or
Sunday.

What I was thinking was this maybe look into reserving a space, which is
quiet, has power and internet access. A place that can cater a meal or
provide a location to get food. Budget, needs to be whicked cheap, as I am on
the Full-Time Student budget right now.

Anyone have any experience setting up such a thing? Have any connections? I
know Jason hosts his own LAN Parties, and it could be cool to even possibly
meet during one of his events, for a couple of reasons. However, that is up
to Jason however, as I don't want to impede on his setup.
1) We can dole out the cash to join the event which is set up - of course
pending his approval
2) We can act as a sponsor even, and hand out CDs, stickers, and hopefully
some damn shirts pretty soon
3) It allows us to recruit as well.
4) It allows us to demonstrate a machine or two, and especially have Mr_H hook
us up with some Cedega and Linux gaming action.

So lets look at setting up a date right now. We need to leave ourselves with
enough time to schedule a location. Also, if anyone of your companies can
host us in a board room that would be awesome as well. Location isn't as
important, but something central and possibly close to the rails if possible.

OK, so that is laid out, here are some of the things we need to look at:
 * Marketing
    * Advertisement - Radio, TV (expensive), Newspaper (can be very cheap if
not free)
    * Local events where we could host a small display or even a demo system
    * Billboards - I was thinking a Chicago style billboard would rock,
nothing done up by someone who gets paid for it, seek a spray painting artist
(graffiti artist), and have them do some work, legally of course. That would
be cool to see an Ubuntu Chicago style billboard ;)

 * Documentation - also falls a little under marketing
    * Flyers
    * Presentations
    * Tutorial to show a user how to run the Live CD

 * Shops
    * How to ....  for the team, where we can each bring our knowledge and
teach everybody something new

 * Hackfest
    * Work this in with the Shops

 * Install Fest - Keep an eye out on your LUGs for this especially, but maybe
we can advertise an install fest for say 4 hours, and have people bring in
their machines to a locations

We definitely need to work along side with some other organizations if
possible. I know that John Quigley and the Chicago LUG want to collaborate on
some stuff as well. CoD LUG is picking itself back up, and could use some
attention just like Ubuntu Chicago. FREE GEEK wants us to help out as well,
and that is an awesome setup they have going.

We need ideas, we need to get working on getting this going. Lets make the
second meeting come into a plan here. Everyone please pitch in!

October or November?  That will give us some time, plus we might be able to
work something in with the upcoming holiday season as well.

Richard Johnson <> nixternal at ubuntu.com
ubuntu.com <> kubuntu.com <> edubuntu.com <> xubuntu.com <> chi.ubuntu-us.com
online everywhere as nixternal
<><