[Ubuntu-US-CA] Our Shared LoCo Team Identity

seidos kdemarest at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:34:09 UTC 2010

imho, i like the idea of "ubuntu local community" better than "ubuntu
california" or "LoCo".  And i like the idea of "ubuntu community" better
than "ubuntu local community".  But then, if one is in front of someone
else, speaking, and saying "I am with the Ubuntu Local Community." wouldn't
"Local" be somewhat implied, since one is in front of the person speaking to
them?  And if it's not, then would it even matter that one was from e.g. Los
Angeles, CA, but was in London saying that they're a part of the "Ubuntu
Community" as opposed to the "Ubuntu Local Community", or "Ubuntu
California"?

i'll probably start saying "part of the ubuntu community" when i talk to
people in person, though i do have cards that say "ubuntu california", as i
needed something to hand to people with my information, and had no idea what
else to put, really.  heck, maybe i should start saying "ubuntu san
francisco".

and i'm sure this has been brought up in the past, but perhaps the website
should have subsections by city.  cities are certainly more "LoCo" than
states.

seidos

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Jessica Ledbetter <
jessica at jessicaledbetter.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Eric Hammond <esh at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > "LoCo" has a strong negative connotation for me, but perhaps that's
> > because I grew up in a Spanish speaking country.
>
> Ditto though I grew up in an English speaking country.
>
> > "ubuntu-us-ca" is fairly difficult to communicate/understand/remember in
> > speech or print.  Fortunately, its uses can be linked to from the web
> > site once you've gotten there.
>
> I agree. Also, maybe it's because of my development background but I'm
> not a huge hyphen fan. I use an underscore in my twitter name because
> my name is too long and the shortened version was taken. I think of
> changing this every week.
>
> And, how do we say that? "Hi, I'm Jessica and I'm with ubuntu hyphen
> you ess hyphen cee aye"? I like "Ubuntu California Team" personally.
> And thankfully there's a redirect for ubuntucalifornia.org to
> ubuntu-california.org. I understand readability but
> UbuntuCalifornia.org does that too. I think ubuntucalifornia.org is
> easier to type, say, and put on a business card.
>
> So, let's say that I'm new to the area and looking to join a group. Do
> I search for "san francisco lug" or "san francisco linux user group"?
> Or do I search for "san francisco ubuntu" or "san francisco loco"? I
> wouldn't think of looking for a california ubuntu unless I already was
> familiar with the local team structure. Maybe the web logs will show
> what search terms people are using and that can help with the online
> branding aspect.
>
> I love sharing the open source philosophy with people. If someone
> thinks that I am an Ubuntu employee then it gives me that opportunity.
>
> The online branding should tie in very well with offline. Part of what
> we do is get out and about with our laptops and our talks.
>
> Jessica

metta