[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu 16.04 fsck and display issue

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:17:30 UTC 2016

On 10 August 2016 at 16:45, David Goldsbrough <daveg at boavon.plus.com> wrote:
> Well, I tried the suggestion to no effect.  I have looked through the logs
> but cannot find any hints - but I am not that experienced and my low vision
> can miss things.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems.

Here is how to both temporarily try, and permanently add, kernel boot
parameters:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters

Here are some instructions specific to adding "nomodeset":

http://askubuntu.com/questions/38780/how-do-i-set-nomodeset-after-ive-already-installed-ubuntu

Plymouth is the program that displays the graphical loading screen. It
is run by the kernel early in the boot up process. It runs from the
initrd, so before the hard disk has even been mounted.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth/

Plymouth uses a kernel feature called KMS: kernel mode setting. This
allows the kernel to set the screen into graphics mode long before
X.org runs and the GUI starts.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_mode_setting

This can cause problems on some machines. Some of my machines display
the Plymouth graphics very early and the dots underneath the logo
animate for some time. Some display it very late and only for a short
time -- a second or so. Some do not display it at all, or only at
shutdown, often with colours distorted or the wrong palette.

But Plymouth is just decorative. You can remove it if you prefer. To
do so, replace the "splash" parameter in the GRUB entry with
"nosplash". If you want to see the kernel boot messages as they go
past, remove the "quiet" parameter.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/33416/how-do-i-disable-the-boot-splash-screen-and-only-show-kernel-and-boot-text-inst