[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu 16.04 fsck and display issue

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:46:29 UTC 2016

On 9 August 2016 at 13:22, David Goldsbrough <daveg at boavon.plus.com> wrote:

> So, I bit the bullet and upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04 on an old desktop as
> a pre cursor to upgrading my Lenovo T60  laptop - my sturdy workhorse for
> now.  One day I will get round to buying a 64bit machine.
>
> Any way, all went smoothly - no real problems.  I was glad that the
> upgrade retained all my settings especially my extra large mouse cursor as
> I have Low Vision - in fact the upgrade improved matters making my large
> cursor visible outside of FireFox where it only seemed to work under 14.04.
>
> To the point, when I boot now I no longer see the "Ubuntu" message in the
> centre of the screen with the changing coloured dots underneath.  No big
> issue, but it was one of those reassuring things when booting up.  I can
> live without it, but should it be doing this?  Do I need to tweak something
> to re-instate it?

I have successfully resurrected this in the past by adding the kernel boot
parameter

nomodeset

You can try this at boot time by pressing E on the GRUB menu, and adding it
to the end of the boot line.

If it works, you can add it to /etc/GRUB/defaults.

Maybe connected, I don't know, but on boot I see the remains I guess of an
> fsck output flash up a few times.  It says something like
>  /dev/sda5: clean, xxxxx/xxxxxxx files, xxxxxx/xxxxxxxx
> and then it proceeds to boot.  Doesn't take long - hence the reason why
> cannot see the exact numbers and jot down quickly enough.  Again, I guess
> its no big issue - the time to worry maybe would be if the output was
> different.  Again, do I need to do something to prevent this?  (/dev/sda5
> is the boot partition for ubuntu - Vista is on 2 other partitions and I
> think sda3 and sda4 are allocated to two DVD drives in the machine)

I get that too. I've decided to leave it. I find it reassuring.

If you're curious, you can add a file called ``forcefsk'' to the root
directory of your root filesystem and force a filesystem check. Then you'll
see the results. The file should be automatically removed after the check
is run.

The easiest way to do this is with the command:

sudo touch /forcefsck