[ubuntu-uk] Some installation pointers please

David Goldsbrough daveg at boavon.plus.com
Sun Feb 16 14:25:06 UTC 2014

Very many thanks to all those who have contributed responses to my original
post.
Regrettably, my technical knowledge is not as up to date as it should be.
The days of being a Systems Administrator on UNIX servers in the mid-80s
serve me well occasionally at command line level, and the days of using and
administrating Windows/DOS systems from the early 80s through to the 90s
are clearly not good enough for the Machiavellian plots that Microsoft and
their hardware partners have got up to in order to frustrate the
linux/ubuntu community.

I have done some further research, especially on UEFI.  The
usual frustrations apply; viz. out of date articles on the vast range of
UBUNTU sources.

The strategies which responders made were very good.  Suffice to say,
regrettably I will not be trying to create a duel-boot laptop.  We will be
exploring other options that satisfies the prime need of having a backup
facility should the windows laptop fail.  Favourite at the moment is buying
a cheap second-hand machine where windows does not matter and we can just
put a Ubuntu only configuration together.

Once again, thank you.