[ubuntu-uk] 12.04 failing for me.

Philip Stubbs philip at stuphi.co.uk
Thu May 24 14:43:03 UTC 2012

On 24 May 2012 14:00, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler at tolaris.com> wrote:
> I have upgraded servers from 10.04 to 12.04, AND one server from 10.10
> through 11.04 and 11.10 to 12.04. All are fine. No crashes so far,
> everything is stable.
>
> This seems to be a problem specific to your setup. We can help further if
> you provide a profile of the server. What hardware? What software? What
> does "crash" mean? Total lockup? Kernel panic with output on console?
> Processes (like snmpd) crashing?

I have three machines that were all upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04. They
all worked reliably on 11.10.

One of the machines, an old 1.7 GHz Celeron IBM desktop acts as my
server. After upgrade it appears to kernel panic. The screen plugged
into it is a bit broken, so I have only once caught the screen output
before it power saves. I can't wake the screen without rebooting the
machine, so I am only guessing that the other failures are the same.

My desktop machine is probably the most tinkered with. It sometimes
stalls on boot. At different places. Sometimes I have noticed it
mentions waiting for network configuration. The boot is very slow.
Turn on and go get a cup of tea. Minutes, not seconds. It is not a
super fast machine, but should not be this slow. Also, when logging
in, Unity is slow to start up. Not minutes, but a real long pause. I
recently tried Xmonad for fun, and thought that the it could not be
running correct as it started so fast! :-)

The second desktop locked up the other day. My wife uses this machine,
and all I know is that she needed to turn off and on again. Sorry, but
I can't cope trying to get a more detailed response.

The two desktops, once up and running don't seem to crash, but then
they are only on when required. Only the server is on 24/7.

I know that I should dig and get more details, but Ubuntu is supposed
to be Linux for Humans. These days I just want to get on and use the
machine, not spend hours just keeping them going.

Don't get me wrong. I am not unhappy with Ubuntu. Just a little
underwhelmed with this release. If I were supporting machines like
mine professionally, I would be having a real paddy. But then I would
also be more inclined to fix things ;-)

--
Philip Stubbs