[ubuntu-uk] 12.04 failing for me.

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Thu May 24 15:12:16 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-24 15:43, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> I know that I should dig and get more details, but Ubuntu is supposed
> to be Linux for Humans. These days I just want to get on and use the
> machine, not spend hours just keeping them going.

I think your problem is that it is Linux for Humans, not Linux for
Tinkerers. :) If you have heavily modified anything, beware of upgrades. I
love customising, but I've learned to stay close to defaults for this reason.

I think you have no choice BUT to dig. Capturing the kernel panic is good.
Also consider sysloging to a remote host and see if it turns up anything
(but it can't catch a panic).

I suspect you'll find a reinstall works where an upgrade doesn't. I
generally rsync most things in / to /home/root.old, then install over. Then
copy back anything of note.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it."