[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu showdown

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Jun 26 17:46:58 UTC 2012

Andres Muniz wrote:

> Since the subject came up. If i was using oneric (or older) and i
> wanted to update quickly to the latest and greatest... Is there a
> "set a source" approach or would compiling it be the only opton?

I can't see where it came up, but are you looking at upgrading the
whole system (i.e. from Oneiric to Precise) or some individual
component?

For the whole OS, Oneiric (11.10) to Precise (12.04) is supported, as is
Karmic (10.04) 10.04 to Precise (since upgrades between consecutive
normal releases are supported, and so are releases between consecutive
LTS release, and Precise is an LTS).

If you're running something else, the supported path is to iterate
through each release (so, for example, upgrade from 11.04 -> 11.10 th3n
11.10 -> 12.04).

See here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/

--