[ubuntu-uk] virtualbox problems

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Fri Jun 15 08:31:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-15 09:08, Simon Greenwood wrote:
> Some OEM disks check for something in the system that identifies the
> hardware as belonging to a maker so it really might depend on the vendor.
> You could test it by installing Virtualbox in Windows as by default
> Virtualbox identifies itself as a generic PC. You'll definitely need the
> licence that came with the machine for it though.

These OEM disks are checking DMI BIOS data. You can set this data using
VBoxManage. See:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html

I suggest booting a Live CD on your physical hardware and using lshw or
dmidecode to get the DMI data from the physical BIOS. Then fake it with
VBoxManage.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there
that needs to be done."