[ubuntu-uk] IPv6

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 18:41:33 UTC 2012

On 7 June 2012 18:55, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:

> A couple of very quick questions on IPv6 that people may be able to cast
> light
> on.
>
> 1. Does anyone know why IPv6 doesn't come up on boot with Ubuntu 10.04? I
> can
> enable it once it is booted with a quick ifdown and ifup (although I have
> force the ifdown). For some reason it doesn't come up when the server is
> rebooted. The same config in the interfaces file on my 12.04 box works
> fine.
>
> 2. With a Ubuntu 8.04 server (yes I know it is old!) with IPv6 enabled and
> Apache apparently supporting IPv6 am I right in assuming that there is
> other
> infrastructure that limits it working? I note that host, for example, does
> not
> support IPv6. I could of course be missing something as it can be tricky
> working out whether the issue is at client or server, especially when one
> test
> I was using quoted IPv6 working fine and the other insisted it was IPv4
> only!
> In the end the postive test was simply telling me the client was working
> because it was pulling the info from a different server - doh.
>
> Of course both of these servers are penciled in for an upgrade to 12.04
> ASAP,
> but the AP bit is proving the limiting factor in terms of available time to
> sort it out :(

The general question is how are you allocating IPv6 addresses on these
machines? Have you had a network allocated by the provider? My guess would
be that if you haven't, on 10.04 it doesn't come up if an address isn't
available or if there isn't a link-local network available, and on 8.04 an
allocated address needs to find a link-local network or an enabled router.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"