[ubuntu-uk] http://ubuntuadverts.org/

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Jul 10 20:45:42 UTC 2012

On 10/07/12 11:14, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 09/07/12 23:10, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>> I must ask, who is going to take ownership of the new server for
>> updates etc?
>>

> I'd be willing to have a go, but as Alan rightly said, there isn't an
> Ubuntu Advertising Team at the moment as nothing has appearred on the
> mailing list in some time, and there hasn't been any IRC contact for
> over a year .....  I'd like to see Ubuntu Advertising re-started as a
> team, but the last round was very frustrating.  A lot of work was put in
> - if the Ubuntu Adverts wiki is still around it's all there to be seen.
> But plans fell apart almost every time and it's not surprising that the
> team died.
>
> Any thoughts from you guys?

Hi Barry
I have been part of the Marketing team, list, and advertising etc over
time,
  however I often got the impression that some list people were not
clear about what was necessary or did not have a common focus. Not
surprising since this is a long way from software, coding or even just
enthusiasm.

My long term activity with displays (eg computer fairs over many years
now) is that the commitment, ideas and actions are more suitable for
a very small, mostly closed, group. In my case a group size of one!

The history of my own displays activity started (after Jono Bacon
triggered it way back) with my ideas then being soundly criticised in
at least one LUG. I had my own clarity and my particular formula still
works as intended. It is my 'resource' after all.

The conclusion I drew then, and still believe, is that marketing,
advertising or the like, is probably best sharply focussed to
particular conditions. The commitment needed is such that helpful
comments from less experienced (or less committed) others may not
always be useful (being polite here). And in a public forum it is also
not possible to guarantee honest objectives - far be it from me to
think that mischief might ever be intended.

My thoughts would be to support a small group only, with sceptical
entry conditions, including personal contact. Advertising resources
might not need to be large at first. Proven track record could call on
crowdfunding such as kickstarter - now soon in uk. And 'Just Do It!'

Some off list emails might be worth considering.
--
alan cocks