[ubuntu-uk] Marketing [Was Re: efi boot, Windows 8 and Linux]

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Fri Sep 23 18:40:18 UTC 2011

Paul Sutton wrote:
> i can show kids my netbook adn tell them about alternatives but
> unless there is a proper support structure out there its going to be
> hard to get them to try it,  as they need help when they need it
> even with windows floss software.

Linux has better end-user support than does Windows; you can buy
support directly from the organisation that produces it and there's
proper, structured (sort-of) community support, too - Ubuntu might well
be aiming for one support channel for every possible medium, but at
least it's *one* and it's official.

The notion of Windows being better supported tends to be based on the
fact that everybody knows someone who uses Windows and knows how to fix
it, which isn't really a proper support structure, but is a very good
reason to buy Windows.

--
Avi