[ubuntu-uk] Strange file sharing problem

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:57:33 UTC 2011

On 3 March 2011 19:38, John MM <scoundrel50a at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 03/03/11 18:50, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>

> On 3 March 2011 13:46, John MM <scoundrel50a at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/11 13:54, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>>
>>> The lock means that they are owned by root or another user, but most
>>> likely root. I think I need to do this with a machine running Ubuntu in
>>> front of me, so I'll get back to you tonight.
>>>
>>> s/
>>>

>>  Ok, thank you.
>

>  OK, I'm home now...
>
>  Try this: open a terminal by clicking on Applications | Accessories |
> Terminal
> Check that you are a member of the sambashare group by typing 'id <your
> user name>'. You'll get output like this:
> uid=1000(simong) gid=1000(simong)
> groups=1000(simong),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),29(audio),46(plugdev),104(fuse),110(netdev),111(lpadmin),119(admin),122(sambashare),123(vboxusers)
> If sambashare is in the list, do the following:
> Type 'sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares'
> Enter your password when prompted.
> This will let members of the sambashare group (you) write to the usershares
> folder, which would appear to resolve the problem that I googled. You might
> have to log out and log in again.
>
>  HTH
> s/
>

> Hi, sorry I just got this now. I tried that, and it doesnt seem to work.
> Now since entering sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares, I no
> longer have locks next to each directory, but I now have X's next to them.
> Now sure why that should have happened, I did exactly as you said. I can
> give the results to the output of id <username> if you want.

No, that's OK at the moment. /var/lib/samba/usershares should contain files
with the names of shares on your machine. These files should be owned by
you. If they aren't, from terminal, type 'sudo chown <username>:<username>
/var/lib/usershares/<sharename>'.

You should have something like this:
ls -l /var/lib/samba
drwxrwx--T  2 root sambashare  4096 2011-02-09 20:30 usershares
ls -l /var/lib/samba/usershares
-rw-r--r-- 1 simong simong 78 2011-02-09 20:30 music

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
My CV: http://bit.ly/sfg <http://bit.ly/sfgreenwood_cv>_new_cv