[ubuntu-uk] Strange file sharing problem

John MM scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:38:17 UTC 2011

On 03/03/11 18:50, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> On 3 March 2011 13:46, John MM <scoundrel50a at gmail.com
> <mailto:scoundrel50a at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/03/11 13:54, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>
>         The lock means that they are owned by root or another user,
>         but most likely root. I think I need to do this with a machine
>         running Ubuntu in front of me, so I'll get back to you tonight.
>
>         s/
>

>     Ok, thank you.
>

> OK, I'm home now...
>
> Try this: open a terminal by clicking on Applications | Accessories |
> Terminal
> Check that you are a member of the sambashare group by typing 'id
> <your user name>'. You'll get output like this:
> uid=1000(simong) gid=1000(simong)
> groups=1000(simong),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),29(audio),46(plugdev),104(fuse),110(netdev),111(lpadmin),119(admin),122(sambashare),123(vboxusers)
> If sambashare is in the list, do the following:
> Type 'sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares'
> Enter your password when prompted.
> This will let members of the sambashare group (you) write to the
> usershares folder, which would appear to resolve the problem that I
> googled. You might have to log out and log in again.
>
> HTH
> s/

Hi, sorry I just got this now. I tried that, and it doesnt seem to work.
Now since entering sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares, I no
longer have locks next to each directory, but I now have X's next to
them. Now sure why that should have happened, I did exactly as you said.
I can give the results to the output of id <username> if you want.