[ubuntu-uk] Strange file sharing problem

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:50:56 UTC 2011

On 3 March 2011 13:46, John MM <scoundrel50a at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/03/11 13:54, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>
>> The lock means that they are owned by root or another user, but most
>> likely root. I think I need to do this with a machine running Ubuntu in
>> front of me, so I'll get back to you tonight.
>>
>> s/
>>

> Ok, thank you.

OK, I'm home now...

Try this: open a terminal by clicking on Applications | Accessories |
Terminal
Check that you are a member of the sambashare group by typing 'id <your user
name>'. You'll get output like this:
uid=1000(simong) gid=1000(simong)
groups=1000(simong),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),29(audio),46(plugdev),104(fuse),110(netdev),111(lpadmin),119(admin),122(sambashare),123(vboxusers)
If sambashare is in the list, do the following:
Type 'sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares'
Enter your password when prompted.
This will let members of the sambashare group (you) write to the usershares
folder, which would appear to resolve the problem that I googled. You might
have to log out and log in again.

HTH
s/