[ubuntu-uk] influence in education

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri Jun 24 08:26:44 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 09:12, alan c wrote:
> On 23/06/11 17:41, Bea Groves wrote:
>> Can I say I'm teaching a full-length (i.e. 10 x 2 hours) unaccredited
>> course for adults entitled 'Introduction to Linux' for North Tyneside
>> Adult Learning Alliance next year. Date and time are still to be
>
> Well done you!
> I have a local adult learning centre near me, and I would like to run
> something here. However, the centre  manager is clear and adamant that
> this cannot happen because I do not hold a teaching qualification or
> whatever. I suppose various degrees and diplomas do not count.
> I would appreciate a comment or two about what can be done here.
>
> An alternative which is not viable yet would be for me to hire the
> room outright but there would need to be a queue of prospective
> (adult) students first before that could work.

i think you need somethig like a 7302 adult teaching qualification,
from city and guilds,  not sure if this applies across the board,  i am
sure a university lecturer would have something more than this.

personally as long as you know what and care good teachers have a
passion for the topic, you are talking about, if i was the learner i
would not care,  having undertaken adult literacy / numeracy you are
either dumped in front of a computer to learn or taught by someone who
in my case did not listen or could not help in the way asked.

interestingly i have pointed out errors in the software and got zero
help from the so called tutors, (to me this is not proper teaching)  so
just cos  you have a 7302 or what ever does not make you competent, only
on paper  i an do a better job than some of these people in fact there
are children who can do a better job, they teach me,  but they are also
open to ideas and help so a mark of a good teacher.   a lot of the adult
numeracy / literacy is teaching to a test so you can pass and
demonstrate you understadn something but to me it can be in a very
narrow context,

have a look in to what is really required,  your next step is to
convince them to allow use of anything othjer than what they have (see
RM stuff) if they have RM and don't allow Linux you could be stuck.
however if you can advertise and there is demand then you can either
meet it or have those people go elsewhere.

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day