[ubuntu-uk] UK - where to buy Asus 1001PXD, 1011PX and 1015PX ??

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 21:24:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 10:29 +0100, alan c wrote:
> On 17/06/11 09:47, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> >>  Those machines mentioned are being sold with Ubuntu preinstalled by Asus so
> >>  there'd be no need to install from a USB stick.
> >>

> > I was just looking at Google Shopping to be honest. I can't imagine any of
> > the chain retailers carrying them with Ubuntu.  On the Asus UK website, the
> > product page for the 1015P still recommends Windows 7 although they do
> > provide the source code for what looks like a Linux distribution.
>
> It is the Express Gate Cloud source code. Express Gate is on pretty
> well all Asus mainbords now I think, and is a mainboard level linux
> based mini OS allowing connection on the internet, browsing etc I
> think, without having to start up the normal operating system
> (Windows7 for example). Asus I think were the first to do this,  but
> now ALL HP products (PCs and printers) have or will have, a similar
> facility, again at board level I think, again Linux based OS, called
> WebOS. I think WebOS is derived from HP purchase of Palm when Palm was
> headed into using open source.
>
> So, interestingly,  it seems it is true to say that large swsomeathes of
> the market is or will be pre installed with a linux based system, but
> not as an 'Installed' OS.
>
> I am probably in the market for what Asus have just announced, and I
> would strongly prefer to avoid being a MS statistic!
> --
> alan cocks
> Ubuntu user

So that's where it is.  I wondered why it didn't seem to have a
partition for it on me new EeePC 1015PEM.

I got it from Simply ASUS (www.simplyasus.com) and put 11.04 on it to
dual boot with Windows 7.  That was just before the announcement about
Ubuntu on EeePCs.

I emailed Simply ASUS and tried to find out if they would be stocking
these net books but totally failed to get any sense out of them.

Currently they have the 1001PXD with Windows 7 for £199.97 (plus about
£7 delivery).

I think the main difference between the 1001PXD and my 1015PEM is the
battery size - 4hrs compared with 10hrs (claimed) battery life. When
fully charged, Ubuntu tells me that my 1015PEM has 6hrs 35mins.  So,
pro-rata the 1001PXD would only have about 2hrs 35mins.  Mind you, if
you have it suspend when not used, the battery life on the 1015PEM is
awesome.  It will stay suspended for days!

Tony