[ubuntu-uk] UK - where to buy Asus 1001PXD, 1011PX and 1015PX ??

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Jun 17 09:29:44 UTC 2011

On 17/06/11 09:47, Simon Greenwood wrote:
> On 17 June 2011 09:36, David Jones<djones.dancol at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>>  On 17/06/2011 09:28, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>>

>>>  Plenty of people are selling them, but I think it might be an hour with a
>>>  USB key to get Ubuntu on it.
>>>

>>  Those machines mentioned are being sold with Ubuntu preinstalled by Asus so
>>  there'd be no need to install from a USB stick.
>>

> I was just looking at Google Shopping to be honest. I can't imagine any of
> the chain retailers carrying them with Ubuntu.  On the Asus UK website, the
> product page for the 1015P still recommends Windows 7 although they do
> provide the source code for what looks like a Linux distribution.

It is the Express Gate Cloud source code. Express Gate is on pretty
well all Asus mainbords now I think, and is a mainboard level linux
based mini OS allowing connection on the internet, browsing etc I
think, without having to start up the normal operating system
(Windows7 for example). Asus I think were the first to do this,  but
now ALL HP products (PCs and printers) have or will have, a similar
facility, again at board level I think, again Linux based OS, called
WebOS. I think WebOS is derived from HP purchase of Palm when Palm was
headed into using open source.

So, interestingly,  it seems it is true to say that large swathes of
the market is or will be pre installed with a linux based system, but
not as an 'Installed' OS.

I am probably in the market for what Asus have just announced, and I
would strongly prefer to avoid being a MS statistic!
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user