[ubuntu-uk] [ANNOUNCE] shiny new website - yay \o/

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Sat Feb 12 15:24:35 UTC 2011

On 12/02/11 13:49, Colin Law wrote:

> I don't know whether it is a factor (probably not) but the html is not
> fully valid.  See
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fubuntu-uk.org%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0.
>   One of the issues is that there appears to be no</head>  tag, though
> as I said that is probably nothing to do with the truncated text.
>
> Colin

it now fully validates \o/
I ended up with a somewhat ugly hack to stop it complaining about an
empty <ul> tag by inserting an invisble <li> tag to cover the instances
where there are no items in the secondary menu (all the time at the
moment). Fixing it neatly would have involved changing a core wordpress
function that I didn't feel like changing.
I also fixed the truncated text which was due to a fixed width item
around the top menu that I missed when converting the design from fixed
width to fluid width and on some browsers the menu font pushed the width
over the 650px allocated for that section. Now it can flow across as
much screen as you have, as the web was meant to be, until broken by the
960gs fad.

Alan.