[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Wrong Direction?

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 11:53:35 UTC 2011

On 02/12/11 11:17, Gareth France wrote:

>     The attitude of Canonical is so poor - so many users have been
>     saying what they want; they've ignored,
>

> Examples?
>
> I do agree with essentially everything you say Alan but as you may
> know I recently set myself up selling Ubuntu systems over the net and
> at computer fairs. I have a number of issues I need clarifying in
> regard to copyright, POS marketing materials and any support Canonical
> may provide to end retailers. I have contacted the correct departments
> many times but I'm being ignored.
>
> So they're human, and they have flaws which need to be worked on, but
> they can't please us all.

Canonical don't support individual retailers without partner agreements
(not that they do much if you are a partner) and they don't support end
users without support contracts.
they do sell some level of support
http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=41
http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=31

and importantly they have set up a global structure of Local Community
teams, which this is one of. If you want to introduce Ubuntu to more
than a hundred desktops (preferably a couple of thousand) then
professional services team would be interested (give me a shout, I can
put you in touch with the right people). If you are selling computers
and want to pre-install Ubuntu then the OEM team might be interested if
you are getting them made in volumes of tens of thousands or more in the
far East. For less than that it is community based support through the
LoCo team, and don't depend on fast responses from Canonical for anything.

Alan

--
Libertus Solutions http://libertus.co.uk