[ubuntu-uk] Network Manager Problem (Xubuntu 10.4)

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 10 23:13:06 BST 2010

Hi Guys

I'm running Xubuntu 10.4. A couple of days ago I downloaded a routine update which required a reboot to complete. After that I had no wireless connectivity and no Network Manager applet (nm-applet) icon in the notification area.

Following much experimentation I discovered I could get wi-fi and the nm-applet icon as long as I started the process using the command line in a terminal window, and kept that window open. As soon as I closed the window, the wi-fi connection was lost, together with the icon. Fortunately, a cable connection to my router continued to provide internet access, but with no nm-applet icon.

Having run out of ideas, I created a new session at the login window. Amazingly everything worked fine as long as I logged in using the new "Test" session. The "Default" session still didn't work and that remains the case now.

I now have a "Test" session that needs to be used all the time , and a "Default" session that is broken. Does anybody know how I can delete the current "Default" session and then rename the "Test" session to make that the new default?

Although of less importance now, I'd be interested in any ideas as to the fundamental cause of the problem in case it ever happens again.

Thanks and regards

Nige