[ubuntu-uk] Final Upgrade to Lucid, not worked completely

Stuart Bird stuart.bird1 at googlemail.com
Mon May 3 14:47:42 BST 2010

On 3 May 2010 12:06, John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/10 11:58, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> > On 03/05/10 11:43, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> >
> >> Having said all this, it might not be the wisest advice to give you. You
> >> can break things. But if it is broken then it probably doesn't matter so
> >> much. Obviously backup all your data before hacking away!
> >>
> > One other thing I should say is that so far I've upgraded 2 desktop PCs
> > and one laptop from Karmic to Lucid and the upgrade process worked fine.
> > I haven't experienced any problems with grub or config files myself.
> >
> > My PCs generally have a separate /boot partition. Just out of habit I
> > tend to use /dev/sda1 for /boot and then have a couple of 10-15G
> > partitions for / and the rest of the drive (or another partition on a
> > different disk) for a common /home with a /swap at the end of the disk.
> >
> > Al
> >

> I wish that would have happened to me. I lost my Windows partition on
> the PC, when I installed Karmic, and the new grub, when it had that
> fault where it did something to the Windows partition. Still cant get
> that back. Windows loads so far, and that is it. So have to use a
> partitioned laptop for video stuff, which had problems with updating to
> Lucid, it works, just. The Netbook, well, I thought I had completely
> lost that, but managed to work out a way to get it back, now it seems to
> work ok, but havent done much on there, for fear of breaking it.
>
> Saying all that, I am getting there.
>
> John
>
> --
> Ubuntu User #30817
>
> I suffered this problem some time ago when I had 9.10 installed
as a dual boot laptop (also on a Sky router although I do not think that is
connected to the issue). In the end I found that it was the
gnome network applet that was causing the issue. I replaced it with
"wicd" and everything worked fine thereafter.

"sudo apt-get install wicd" will take care of the installtion and gnome
network applet removal in one go.

Regards

Stu