[ubuntu-uk] Final Upgrade to Lucid, not worked completely

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Mon May 3 12:06:34 BST 2010

On 03/05/10 11:58, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 03/05/10 11:43, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
>
>> Having said all this, it might not be the wisest advice to give you. You
>> can break things. But if it is broken then it probably doesn't matter so
>> much. Obviously backup all your data before hacking away!
>>
> One other thing I should say is that so far I've upgraded 2 desktop PCs
> and one laptop from Karmic to Lucid and the upgrade process worked fine.
> I haven't experienced any problems with grub or config files myself.
>
> My PCs generally have a separate /boot partition. Just out of habit I
> tend to use /dev/sda1 for /boot and then have a couple of 10-15G
> partitions for / and the rest of the drive (or another partition on a
> different disk) for a common /home with a /swap at the end of the disk.
>
> Al

I wish that would have happened to me. I lost my Windows partition on
the PC, when I installed Karmic, and the new grub, when it had that
fault where it did something to the Windows partition. Still cant get
that back. Windows loads so far, and that is it. So have to use a
partitioned laptop for video stuff, which had problems with updating to
Lucid, it works, just. The Netbook, well, I thought I had completely
lost that, but managed to work out a way to get it back, now it seems to
work ok, but havent done much on there, for fear of breaking it.

Saying all that, I am getting there.

John

--
Ubuntu User #30817