[ubuntu-uk] Command line in Google Chrome

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 00:34:07 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 22:59 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 21 June 2010 20:16, John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:

> > I cant remember having a computer that didnt use a mouse,
>
> The first mouse I bought for a PC was a 3-button white serial one (see
> pic below) from CPC around 1993, but I certainly had used mice on
> non-PC computers like the BBC Micro way before that.

I remember my first mouse very well. It was an AMX Mouse for my Amstrad
CPC 464. I just found a copy of the manual in French online and here are
the installation instructions (worth a read to see how lucky we are
these days!):

The installation of the mouse if incredibly simple. You just have to
strictly follow the instructions below:
     1. Switch off the monitor and disconnect it from the power socket.
     2. Unplug the 5V cable that links the monitor to the computer.
     3. Plus the AMX Mouse interface in the joystick port, which is
        located at the back of the Amstrad microcomputer. It is the
        9-pin connector in the shape of a "D" (on the left on the
        CPC6128).
     4. Connect the power cord of the interface to the power socket (5V)
        of the Amstrad microcomputer. This is the wire that ends with a
        plug similar to the one of the Amstrad's power cable.
     5. Connect the AMX Mouse to the interface using the 20-pin IDC
        connector. This connector is polarised and ensures that the
        mouse can only be connected one way.
     6. Plug the power cable of the Amstrad microcomputer in the socket
        on the power cable of the interface.
     7. Reconnect to main power and switch the computer on.

And once you'd done all this correctly, you had a working mouse. Of
course, none of the software available for the Amstrad supported a mouse
so the AMX mouse also came with a dedicated drawing package (4 colours:
black, white and 2 extra colours to choose from a palette of 27:
standard Amstrad video mode 1)

Sorry about this digression, I ended up down memory lane when reading
Popey's post :-)

Bruno