[ubuntu-uk] Command line in Google Chrome

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jun 21 22:59:49 BST 2010

On 21 June 2010 20:16, John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:
> did you use MS DOS?

> I never used a pc till about 10 years ago, and most
> of it is self taught.

I think my first PC was 20 years ago :S and also self taught :)

> I cant remember having a computer that didnt use a mouse,

The first mouse I bought for a PC was a 3-button white serial one (see
pic below) from CPC around 1993, but I certainly had used mice on
non-PC computers like the BBC Micro way before that.

http://acorn.chriswhy.co.uk/32bit_Upgrades/CPC_Mouse.html

> I remember a
> friend of mine had one, that he talked about, but I never saw it. I wish
> I had, it would make life easier.

It's easy. Unplug the mouse. You can pretty much operate a PC without
a mouse these days :) You'll soon learn the shortcuts to doing things.
The following wiki page is useful too.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KeyboardShortcuts

> I am barely managing to use the pc, never mind learn not to use the
> mouse, lol.

What happens when the mouse disappears and it's all touch screen? :D

Cheers,
Al.

p.s I started typing this reply about 2 hours ago as I thought 'when
_did_ I buy my first PC' and this led me to start creating a time line
of my computer-owning history, which also subsequently led to me
rummaging for photos, notes and so on. My memory isn't what it was, I
should have committed these details to paper sooner!