[ubuntu-uk] Lucid Lynx TV Advert

Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 10:15:23 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 23:32 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 31 January 2010 23:13, Liam Wilson <liamwilson93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > IF we are going to make this video, ideally, it would be better to thin=
> > about actual content first.
>=20
> I disagree. The very first thing is to look at what the goal is. Only
> once you know the goal, target audience, approach, method of delivery
> and so on can you begin to look at content. I'm personally of the
> opinion that now is not the time to create a TV advert, and that the
> money/time could be better spent on other things, but its not my place
> to tell people what to do.

I agree completely that the first thing is to know the goal. We often
get ahead of ourselves in the community, which is not necessarily a bad
thing but we need to know what we want first before we can begin to plan
how to deliver it.

I disagree that it's not the time to advertise on TV. I've been
championing the idea of a TV advert for Ubuntu for a long time but
alongside another campaign of something like offering Ubuntu for sale in
mainstream areas e.g. PC World (not some half-assed effort like Dell).

The major problems Ubuntu face with adoption are obscurity and Microsoft
having a stranglehold on the pre-install market. Both need to be
attacked at once if any inroads are to be made, a TV advert on it's own
may increase visibility but to what end? The audience it would target
are casual computer users who are very unlikely to go and download an
ISO and reload their computer off the strength of an ad. If they are
then able to go to PC World and buy the 'cheap Mac' after being
impressed with the stuff on the advert it has a lot more impact. Getting
someone like DSG on-side is a must and Canonical need to do a bit of a
deal with the devil with this key area.

Regarding the advert content, it's a case of following Apple's lead with
their cool iPhone ads. Show how the desktop is silky smooth with desktop
effects, show how there's a built-in Office suite with full MS Office
compatibility, show how it's immune to viruses and it's the most secure
Operating System on the planet. Champion all of it's strengths without
going in any way geeky (nothing about community driven development etc.)
The strength of the software can stand on it's own without having to
refer to traditional geekdom advantages.

Regards,
--=20
Darren Mansell=20