[ubuntu-uk] Networking.....

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Tue Oct 20 05:51:22 BST 2009

Daniel Drummond wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 13:34 +0100, John Matthews wrote:
>
>> mac wrote:
>>
>>> Daniel Drummond wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> John >>> What are you actually trying to do:  make files on your
>>> computer available to other computers on your LAN, so that they have
>>> permanent access to them;  or merely give your computer access to files
>>> that are on other computers on the LAN?
>>>

>> Hi, I am trying to be able to see my windows pc and files I have on
>> there that I have opened to share, plus the Linux machines I have the
>> same as well, all on the network. It seems something isnt working for
>> networking.
>>
>> John.
>>

> Well, you should probably file a bug.  Welcome to the world of
> pre-release software.  To do that follow the instructions on this web
> page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>
> I can tell you for certain though that the method I laid out previously
> *does* work, and does give me access to Windows shares on my wife's
> laptop, and a drive shared from my router.
>
> Have you considered that there could be a problem with the other
> computers?  Windows file-sharing is a complex beast, if you don't
> believe it read some of the documentation at www.samba.org.
>
> If I remember correctly (and it has been years since I used windows
> file-sharing on windows), you used to have to ensure that there was one
> computer in the network running the master-browser service in order for
> you to be able to browse the network through some kind of network
> neighbourhood  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Master_Browser).
> Have you checked that this is running on one of the windows machines?
> It may well be that you Ubuntu 9.04 system was set up to perform this
> task, and the configuration was overwritten when you updated to karmic.
>
> Dan

Well, I dont think its the windows problem, my netbook which I havent
updated yet, still sees the windows machine, but it doesnt see this
machine. The Windows machine I havent worked out how to view the Ubuntu
machines yet. I can see into it, but not out, and that is my fault as I
dont know how to. I'll also file a bug, as well.

I will check what you have posted about the networking again, to see if
I can understand it.

John.