[ubuntu-uk] Networking.....

John Matthews jakewc2 at sky.com
Mon Oct 19 13:32:51 BST 2009

Daniel Drummond wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 10:58 +0100, John Matthews wrote:
>
>> mac wrote:

>>> Does this help:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=733619
>>>
>>> mac
>>>

>> Hi, that didnt work, I didnt understand most of it. I still cant get my
>> network to work.
>>
>> John
>>

> Hi John,
>
> I don't normally connect to shared drives through the Network Icon, but
> I use Places->Connect To Server
>
> Then choose Windows Share in the drop down box, fill in the ip address,
> share name, Domain Name (Workgroup), and I usually just create a
> bookmark, so next time I can just click one icon, and it mounts it
> straight away.  Under username you may have to put the name of a user
> account on the machine you are trying to connect to (and a corresponding
> password if asked).
>

> Running samba will not help unless you have shares on your Ubuntu system
> that you want to make available to the other computers.  Then it
> requires Samba configuration.  To access files on other computers
> usually doesn't need any configuration or samba daemons on a standard
> Ubuntu install.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Dan

Hi, before upgrading to Karma, that is what I used to be able to do, is
click on Places, then Network then it would have two icons, one was the
Windows icon, the other Linux icon. I now only have the window Icon, and
when I click on that, it says unable to mount. Nothing happens, and I
have a Linux machine and windows machine open.

John.