[ubuntu-uk] Networking.....

Daniel Drummond dmdrummondx at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:38:42 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 13:34 +0100, John Matthews wrote:
> mac wrote:
> > Daniel Drummond wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Running samba will not help unless you have shares on your Ubuntu system
> >> that you want to make available to the other computers.  Then it
> >> requires Samba configuration.  To access files on other computers
> >> usually doesn't need any configuration or samba daemons on a standard
> >> Ubuntu install.
> >>

> > John >>> What are you actually trying to do:  make files on your
> > computer available to other computers on your LAN, so that they have
> > permanent access to them;  or merely give your computer access to files
> > that are on other computers on the LAN?
> >
> Hi, I am trying to be able to see my windows pc and files I have on
> there that I have opened to share, plus the Linux machines I have the
> same as well, all on the network. It seems something isnt working for
> networking.
>
> John.

Well, you should probably file a bug.  Welcome to the world of
pre-release software.  To do that follow the instructions on this web
page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

I can tell you for certain though that the method I laid out previously
*does* work, and does give me access to Windows shares on my wife's
laptop, and a drive shared from my router.

Have you considered that there could be a problem with the other
computers?  Windows file-sharing is a complex beast, if you don't
believe it read some of the documentation at www.samba.org.

If I remember correctly (and it has been years since I used windows
file-sharing on windows), you used to have to ensure that there was one
computer in the network running the master-browser service in order for
you to be able to browse the network through some kind of network
neighbourhood  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Master_Browser).
Have you checked that this is running on one of the windows machines?
It may well be that you Ubuntu 9.04 system was set up to perform this
task, and the configuration was overwritten when you updated to karmic.

Dan