[ubuntu-uk] Kubuntu Hardy to Jaunty failed

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Oct 16 21:00:56 BST 2009

2009/10/16 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
> Oh dear.  I'm sure it was discussed a week or so ago about upgrading
> between versions.  I gather it's not a good idea to upgrade from more
> than one version to another at a time, so I guess from Hardy, you'd need
> to upgrade to Intrepid, then Jaunty.

Indeed. The best approach is to go from one release to the next
consecutive one. The documentation for this is here:-

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

> Fraid I can't help much other than suggest maybe looking at backing up
> the system, at least the home directory and then reinstalling from a
> fresh install of Jaunty.  Maybe someone else might be able to offer some
> more advice on how to fix it?

You can install over the top and if you choose 'manual' partition, and
_don't_ tick the 'format' option, it will install over the top without
wiping the home folder.

Cheers,
Al.