[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu pre-installed computer prices

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Mar 27 09:15:17 GMT 2009

Eddie Bernard wrote:
> 2009/3/25 Matt Jones <matt at mattjones.me.uk>:
>> In the past, that opinion was fairly valid. Now, the celerons are
>> actually quite speedy little chips, espescially for an Ubuntu box that
>> is going to run web/openoffice/music all day. As for recommending a
>> Via over the current (Dual core) celerons, they are quite a long way
>> behind in performance terms, and not really any cheaper.
>
> I've read this discussion on the benefits or otherwise of Celerons
> with interest. I certainly would agree that the very first Intel
> Celerons were a waste of time. But, as far as I'm concerned, the
> latest Celerons are more than adequate for the average PC user as long
> they don't plan to run 3D graphics/games. I'm particularly impressed
> with the staying power of the E1400.
>
>> I think that the option should be offered to have either LTS or the
>> most current release as an option. For a consumer use, the new
>> software available in a non LTS release does offer benefits over the
>> staid reliability of the LTS.
>
> Urgh, thanks guys, now I'm thinking I should offer 8.10 again :-)
>
> Perhaps it'd be easier if I just sidestepped this issue for now and
> skip straight to 9.04 when it arrives!

My approach is to suggest LTS for users who will use conventional
office based activites - (at home or business)
I gather there is a non optimum situation in 8.04 re its sound - pulse
audio iirc

Later releases if its users will appreciate the recent stuff.
Depending on the particular release of course. Will attract some
users. Keep in mind nominal cost  offering end user support too? It
will keep you in touch with your customers and fill a need with wider
population of real newcomers.

good luck
--
alan cocks