[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu pre-installed computer prices

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Mar 26 09:15:10 GMT 2009

Liam Proven wrote:
> 2009/3/25 Eddie Bernard <eddieb at gmail.com>:
>
>> I'm looking to offer a base unit, 2GHz dual core Celeron (E1400) with
>> 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM, and a 150GB SATA hdd. Graphics, sound and
>> ethernet are onboard.
>>

> My only comment - apart from to agree with those who commend that you
> use the LTS version - would be this: I would never buy a Celeron and I
> tell everyone, friends and clients, to avoid them. They are nasty,
> crippled devices and anything with a "Celery" in it is probably
> rubbish, in my not-at-all-humble opinion.
>
> I'd rather have a cheap low-end but full-spec AMD or Via chip than a
> Celeron. Yes, I know it's possible to replace a Celeron with a
> full-spec chip, but almost nobody ever does & it's almost never an
> economical upgrade.

Actually the dual core Celerons are pretty quick.  They are based on the
Core 2 Duo core with just a smaller cache.  To be honest I would presume
that a system for about £200 would not be aimed at a power user and with
some people finding that a single core Atom at 1.6GHz does the job
(heck, a Duron 1400 with 512MB Ram I built the other day is fine for web
browsing) then a Celeron Dual Core would probably be fine.

Saying that though, I'd rather have a Core 2 based Celeron Dual Core or
Pentium Dual Core rather than the older Pentium 4 Prescott based Celeron
D (my kids PC has one in and while it's fine for what they want and
pretty quick at 3.33GHz it's really power hungry and runs hot).

I do agree about the AMD chips though, if you can get one cheap enough
and a decent AM2+ board then you could at a later date drop in an AM2
(and I believe AM3) Phenom II onto the board (although for best
performance you really need a board which can support the faster HT
speeds of the Phenom which some of the cheaper AM2+ boards don't support).

Rob