[ubuntu-uk] Introduction

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 09:38:52 GMT 2009

2009/3/19 Matt <matthaslam at ntlworld.com>:
> Hello everyone
>
> I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I am an experienced
> Linux user, living in South Manchester. My interest is in the promotion
> of free software to the general public. I am an experienced Ubuntu user,
> web designer and can program in Java and Python to an intermediate
> level.
>
> My hope is to help create a South Manchester Ubuntu group, that could
> organise regular meetings providing installation and usage advice as
> well as attend events within the local community to promote free
> software and help people move away from their usual (and expensive)
> OS's.

Hi Matt,

I also live in South Manchester and am chairperson of Manchester Free
Software (one of the groups mentioned by Tim Dobson). We already work
hard to promote free software in Manchester. One of the groups we are
currently working with is Arcspace and we are in the process of
setting up Ubuntu computers for use by the community in Hulme. We will
also be running several workshops and tutorials with them covering
Ubuntu and free software. Would you like to get involved?

Arcspace are running a Drupal tutorial on 1st April from about 6.30pm
and they are running an afternoon of workshops on Saturday 18th April
(run by Manchester Free Software).

I would strongly advise signing up to our mailing list to keep up to
date with these events and with our regular talks.